[Advaita-l] vishayananda & brahmananda

Br. Pranipata Chaitanya pranipata at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 3 00:28:34 CDT 2011

Hari Om! Pranaams!

Reproducing the notes of Swami Nikhilanandaji on the mantra based on baashyam. (©  Swami Nikhilananda, Ramakrishna Center, NY.)

The laughing, rejoicing etc, are all mental, created by the mere will of the Self. The Self enjoys these pleasures as an inward spectator only, without identifying Himself with either pleasure or pain. He sees them with His divine eye. He perceives in all things His Self only. What from a relative standpoint are called objects, are to Him Brahman only. The statement that all the desires of the Self and all the thoughts of the Self come true (8:7:1) and that the knower of the Self laughs,plays, rejoices,etc,(8:12:3) and that he weilds unlimited freedom (7:25:2) and other similar statements describing the glories and powers of the Self, do not conflict with the statement that It is free of all attributes, such as seeing, hearing etc. The latter statement is made from the standpoint of Pure Consciousness, which admits of no duality, but the former is made from the relative standpoint, when the Self is regarded as the innermost essense of all phenomenal objects. What is true of the Self is also true of the liberated Soul who  has realised his oneness with It. The liberated soul, too, ad Pure Consciousness, does not see, hear, or touch any object, because objects do not exist as such, in reality.  But fron the relative stand point he appears to enjoy food, drink, human company, etc, though even then he does not forget his true nature.