[Advaita-l] The Jnani's feeling of physical pain

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 00:32:45 CDT 2010

Hari OM, Shri Pranipataji, praNAm,

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 7:29 AM, Br. Pranipata Chaitanya
<pranipata at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Though Atman is same substratum on which BMI of all are superimposed, the
> laukika-vAsanas in the mind which creates insufferable stink which when
> rubbed with knowledge start emanating the fragrance of the supreme Self.

Although there may be no vAsanAs of j~nAni to brush against the Atma,
in what position is the aj~nAni in, with his vAsanas, to smell the
fragrance emanating? Out of aj~nAni's volition, nothing in the j~nAni
has changed. It has changed due to something that happened at the
j~nAni's earlier BMI, that was as much an insufferable stink to
aj~nAni as his own, which somehow now continues to emanate the
fragrance.

> This idea is brought out by AcAryaji in verses 273 & 274 of Vivekacudamani.
>
> jalaadisa.nsargavashaatprabhuuta\-
>   durgandhadhuutaa.agarudivyavaasanaa .
> sa.ngharshhaNenaiva vibhaati samya\-
>   gvidhuuyamaane sati baahyagandhe .. 273..
>
> an{}taHshritaanan{}taduuran{}tavaasanaa\-
>   dhuuliivilip{}taa paramaat{}mavaasanaa .
> praGYaatisa.ngharshhaNato vishuddhaa
>   pratiiyate chan{}danagandhavat.h sphuTam.h .. 274..
>

> It is the upAdhi which stinks or fragrant and no wonder sweet smelling is
> adored.

Whose upAdhi is it that becomes fragrant now? Nothing in the aj~nAni
changed, except his adoration.

Thanks for the Vivekachudamani references. In Bhavan's publication, I
see these as 274 and 275.

shrIgurupAdukArpaNamstu,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */