[Advaita-l] The Jnani's feeling of physical pain

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Sep 23 03:49:13 CDT 2010

praNAms
Hare Krishna

The Jnani lives life both at the Paramarthika level and the Vyavaharika
level and his or her  Vyavaharika identity vanishes only when the jnanai
is out of the panchkoshas.

>  you mean to say here 'vedeha mukti' is the mukhya mukti & when he is
there in paNchakOsha, though he is realized that he is ashareeri, is
kevala gauNa mukti?? Morever, jnAni's drushti is saMyak drushti, he never
ever deviates from this Urdhva drushti/darshana to sail the boat of avidyA
vyavahAra.  atyantika abhAva of vyavahAra (i.e. pramAtru, pramANa &
prameya vyavahAra) is what is called 'mOksha' in advaita.

This is so though he knows the permanent nature only of his or her
Paramarthika level of existence.

>  Kindly let me know, whether I have to understand the above statement
that knowing/realizing the brahman ( in deha/paNchakOsha) & becoming the
brahman (after shedding the physical sheath) are two separate events!!

It is like a river losing its identity only when it meets the sea but not
before that.

>  OTOH, it is like this, river (jeeva) realizing the truth that it
was/is/will always be sea (brahman) only & there was no time it was
'apart' from sea !!  There is a specific statement from Shankara with
regard to this socalled 'merging' in sUtra bhAshya.

The Ajnani, of course,  lives the Vyavaharika life and may even think the
Jnani to be doing likewise.

>  Yes, since jnAni's pramAtrutva/jnAtrutva (doership/knowership) identity
gone after the dawn of jnAna, he does not do anything...if at all we see
jnAni's activities, it is ONLY in our (ajnAni) perception..

The Jnani may speak from the Vyavaharika level at one time and at the
other time he or she may speak from the Paramarthika level.

>  Are we not doing the same effectively :-))  If it is mere intellectual
understanding & mere switching compartments from paramArthika to vyavahAra
then the brahma jnAna is mere additional information/data in our mind
which we uses it just like in our day to day activity..for example, when I
am in office, I am an accounts executive & when I am at home I am a father
of my kids & husband to my wife & my language also changes according to
the situation & stage of performance :-)) ..do you agree that brahma jnAni
also like this & changes his language ??

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar