[Advaita-l] Knowledge, renunciation and varNASrama rules - Is sanyasa ashrama sweekaram a must

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Sep 13 00:16:11 CDT 2010

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010, Varadaraja Sharma wrote:

> And as said by Shriman Jaldhar Vyas :
>
> Had Venkateshamurti restricted his argument to the idea that this is a
> different type of sannyasa to shrotriya Brahmanas everyone would have
> agreed with him.
>
> From the above, I deduce that
>
> 1.	All dvija “males” have recourse to “Vaidika” saMnyAsa
> 2.	The non dvija males and sthris are entitled to renounce and the “type” of their sannyasa may be different from that of “shrothriya Brahmanas” and the same  would not of “Vaidika” form although the traditional monasteries recognize them.
>
> The second one is what I deduced and I do not know the actual position.

Yes this is a good summation of the Advaita position.

> My real concern is what is the expected code of conduct of brahmanas to
> sthri shudradi sanysins ( Not vidvat sanyasins)? Should the brahmana
> males pay their obeisance to these people with a sashtanga namaskara and
> offer anna bhiksha?

No to the first because that is a social situation which dharmashastras
have complete authority over and they are clear on the prohibition of
this.  (Nevertheless, I would also add it is best if sannyasis of all
kinds are not put into the position of accepting such things from
grhasthas.  Nowadays they are treated as decorations to every trivial
function or cultural program when their mission is actually to detach
themselves from society.)

To the second, why not?  Dana especially annadana gives punya whenever it
is given.  If someone is in need and you can give it then you should in my
opinion.

> In the sishtachara code as conveyed to me by my elders which I passed on
> to the next generation, we (brahmanas) are not supposed to pay obeisance
> to people of other varnas irrespective of their age with a sashtanga
> namaskara. Does the fact of them embracing sanyasa requires modification
> in the code being followed?

No as noted above.