[Advaita-l] Adwaita and and caste.

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 31 11:10:22 CDT 2010

Dear Srikantaji,

May I add the proper chronological perspective to this writeup. Vedavyasa definitely believed in the importance of chronology. He has given astronomical data from which we know that the Mahabharata war was fought in 3139 BCE. Similar milestones are there throughout our ancient literature. Vaivasvat Manu composed the Manu Smriti in the Satyayuga and rightly Vedavyasa was telling Parashara that Manu smriti was meant for the Satya yuga. The Gautama and the Yajnavalkya Smriti were for the Treta yuga. this chronology has to be reflected in discussions when we consider the evolution of society in the ancient past. The Yajnavalkya Smriti came after the Manu Smriti.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya