[Advaita-l] A discussion group on Adaita Vedanta

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 11 14:28:49 CDT 2010

Dear Srikantaji,

Pranam,

Presently I am away from my regular place of residence in Mumbai and shall returm ther only after some weeks. I came across a book by an American lady researcher, who did her research in Pune, where she shows how Maya has been given in the Vedic literature. That book was published by the Bhandarkar Oriental research Institute. Neither I have the book with me at this time nor I remember the exact details to tell you. But the book should be widely read by the Advaitins.

Regarding the philosophy of Lord Buddha you have made your onservations as follows :

<<<  From what has come as Buddhism oer the years,we see that Buddhism later split into many schools,like,Yogacara vigyana vada,Sunyavada,Vajrayana,etc.Nagarjuna and vasubandhu
 expounded their respective schools and clained that theirs is what Buddha said.But none knows the truth.The research on these schools continue till today.  >>>

Lord Buddha was himself apprehensive that what he preached will get corrupted in about one thousand years and possibly earlier due to introduction of the nuns, whom he was reluctant to admit. To know about the different schools and their relevance to Lord Buddha's original teachings, one must have the proper chronologcal perspective. Astronomical data as studied by Professor Achar give us the accurate date of Lord Buddha and Kaniska.  My own studies on the Dotted Records show how the Sri Lankan Buddhists bulldozed the Dotted Record to reduce the antiquity of the date of Lord Buddha by about thirteen centuries and Max muller grabbed that to fortify his Aryan Invasion Theory as well as  his dateline of the Ancient
 Indian History. Kaniska ruled about 500 years after Lord Buddha and Ashvaghosha and Nagarjuna were of those tomes. So there is absolutely no doubt that what Nagarjuan says or even Ashvaghosha says are the closest representative of Lord Buddha's teachings.

Vasubandhu came several centuries after Nagarjuna and Dignaga was Vasubandhu's disciple. Dharmakiriti cale still later and he was just senior contemporary of Adi Sankaracharya. The later developments in Buddhism should be understood in the light of what Nagarjuna wrote and not in contradicition of that.

As regards Adi Sankara being called as pracchanna Buddha (ie. the secret Buddha) and the same was applied to even Gaudapadacharya. In case of Adi Sankaracharya the term was first applied by Yamunacharya, as the Advaita was really beyond their comprehension. They thought that the world created by God is here to stay and how can any being permanently get away from the Sansara. As Adi sankara explained the Vedantic way to be one
 with the Brahman they thought that Adi Sankara was out to destroy the world and then started calling names. We have to understand that and also realise that all cannot have the same spiritual progress (ie. to the same extent) at the same time. Appreciation of that will help the Advaitins not to get perturbed.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya