[Advaita-l] Jnana and Karma (was Fwd: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 75, Issue 5)

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 7 09:42:43 CDT 2010

Dear Sri Krishnadas,

It is not for me to suggest the path at all, being a person who struggles
with developing Sama, dama and the other qualities that are prerequisites
for vedAnta. I can only point to my intellectual understanding of what the
texts say and what the tradition of advaita AcArya-s whom I respect have
said for centuries.

Sankara bhagavatpAda's gItAbhAshya, particularly in the sixth chapter, is
a must read in this context. The following verses and their commentary are
a pointer to the vaidIka path from karmA to its renunciation.

Arurukshor muner yogaM karma kAraNam ucyate yogArUDhasya tasyaiva SamaH ...

SanaiS Sanair uparamed buddhyA dhRti-gRhItayA ...

Note that sureSvarAcArya cites the first in naishkarmyasiddhi in the same
context.

My views on how yoga fits in the path from karmA to its renunciation, from
pravRtti dharma to nivRtti are informed completely by my reading of the
gItAbhAshya. Regarding the use of yoga in this context, please also see
the brahmasUtra bhAshya under sUtra "api ca saMrAdhane pratyakshAnumAnAbhyAm"
(3.2.24). I won't go into much detail on this now, for want of time, but
note that here Sankara bhagavatpAda mentions bhakti, dhyAna and praNidhAna
as the means by which one ultimately sees the AtmA that is only describable
as "neti, neti".

Best regards,
Vidyasankar