[Advaita-l] Questions regarding Advaita Vedanta.

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 1 10:47:13 CDT 2010

Dear Krishna,

Satish has already addressed some of your questions. I will only add the following.

1. The great vociferousness of some group on the internet does not lend legitimacy
to their claims.

2. Traditional advaitins do not see the need to set up numerous websites with direct
and emotional attacks on the dualists of various shades.

3. mAyAvAda is a term coined by those who are opposed to the sampradAya of advaita
vedAnta. The only answer to that is advaita is truly brahmavAda, not mAyAvAda. Any
counter-arguments, essentially to the effect that nirguNa brahman is the impersonal
aspect of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, should be dismissed as silly verbiage,
not based on Sruti, smRti and logic.

4. sumadhvavijaya is a text meant to glorify AnandatIrtha. In the mind of poets of
a certain kind, glorification of one's hero necessarily has to come at the expense
of an anti-hero or a villain. They resort to all sorts of hyperbole to enhance that
effect. It should not be taken seriously.

5. I am not aware of any Sankaravijaya text that gives 60 years as the lifespan of
Sankara bhagavatpAda. Could you give more details of where you read this?

6. Sadly, even within the advaita tradition, there has been a tendency to resort to
poetic hyperbole which then passes off as factual truth. The existence of abhinava
Sankara has not been proved. The Sankara bhagavatpAda of advaita tradition is the
one who wrote the commentaries on the prasthAna trayI - brahmasUtra-s, upanishad-s
and gItA - in addition to a few other texts. It is the same Sankara bhagavatpAda
who is credited with establishing monastic centers and revitalizing the tradition
of vaidika saMnyAsa, through the organization of the daSanAmI saMnyAsin lineages.
It is meaningless to split up this one person into an "abhinava" Sankara as opposed
to an "Adi" Sankara, and to keep adding a few more Sankara-s to the list as and when
convenient. The only true distinction to be made is between the "Adi" Sankara and
the numerous titular Sankaracharya-s over the centuries. The head of every maTha in
the advaita tradition gets to be called "Sankaracharya" but only as a title. You
would do well to steer clear of controversial issues and confusion arising from
claims and counter-claims.

7. Your anuSAsana-parva reference from the mahAbhArata can be easily explained in
advaitic terms, so long as you are willing to give up the idea of supremacy of Siva
over vishNu or vishNu over Siva. kRshNa = nArAyaNa (vishNu) = Siva. The bhagavAn
kRshNa saw no difference between Siva and antaryAmI nArAyaNa. In smArta tradition,
we do not see ourselves as solely Saiva-s or solely vaishNava-s at all. We are both
and we are neither. This does not mean that we should accept all the mutually
contradictory claims of all groups at face value.

8. In the advaita tradition, it is not gauDapAda who is considered an avatAra of
AdiSesha. It is govinda bhagavatpAda, disciple of gauDapAda and guru of Sankara
bhagavatpAda, who is considered an avatAra of AdiSesha. Now, patanjali is also
considered an avatAra of AdiSesha by all. However, considering rAmAnuja to be an
avatAra of AdiSesha is not valid outside of SrIvaishNava circles. In any case,
even if you grant that rAmAnuja was an avatAra of AdiSesha, why should there be
a problem? Different avatAra-s do different things and achieve different aims.
rAma was an eka-patnI-vrata, but kRshNa had aneka patnI-s. Can we question the
tradition that both rAma and kRshNa were avatAra-s of the same vishNu, because
of the mutual contradiction between monogamy and polygamy?

Best regards,
Vidyasankar

ps. ISKCON and other gauDiya vaishNava groups see Caitanya Mahaprabhu as an
avatAra of kRshNa and rAdha together, a sort of androgynous conception. This
need not be accepted by anybody outside of those sects. Today, there are
numerous "avatAr-s" and "bhagavAn-s" around. Should there be an uncritical
acceptance of the claims of all the newly forming groups in the world?