[Advaita-l] Questions on Mayavada.

srikanta srikanta at nie.ac.in
Thu Nov 11 04:27:02 CST 2010

I would like to express my views on the discussion,which said that there
were many distortions in Buddhism.It is also said that adi shankaracharya
criticised Buddhism.To put it in the right perspective,I would like to
point out that Adi Shankara in his bhashyas,has not directly criticised
other systems,but has exposed the inconsistencies by examining the other
systems in their views.He has not indulged in direstly assaulting them.a
careful study of his bhashyas reveals that.Even in the
"Abhavadhikarana",he says:...as the bahyarthavadi insists on the existence
of external objects,the Vijnanavadi comes inbetween(idanim
prathyavathistathe).he says (that the vijnavadi says),Buddha taught
bahyarthavada from the point of view of some disciples(kecit vineyani)who
have delusion(abhinivesha)in the existence of the external objects,but the
Sugata(Buddha)doesnot hold this view(nayam sugatasya abhiprayah).We see
that it is an echo from Gaudapada's Karikas,which has discussed and
examined different forms of Buddhism,like vijnanvada,Sunyavada etc.no
where shankara has indulged in direct criticism of other systems.
                                                           N.Srikanta.