[Advaita-l] Question on Mayavada

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 5 07:49:16 CDT 2010

> "mayavadam asat sastram" describes two characteristics of advaitam:
>
> - total renounciation of actions (including that done with dualtistic
> bhakti)
> - oneness of jiva and paramatma
>
> One can say that the verse is an interpolation but cannot say that there is
> a misunderstanding about advaitam. Right?

Sri Subrahmanian has given you a detailed answer. I will give you a short one.
The said verse reveals not only misunderstanding but a deep ignorance because
it describes advaita as asat, presuming that "mAyAvAda" means advaita here.

I engaged you in a discussion about karmA and bhakti and jnAna because you
seemed to be asking pertinent questions about these topics and about a centrally
important AcArya in the advaita tradition, madhusUdana sarasvatI. If all you can
do in response is to keep revolving around this dubious verse attributed to the
padma purANa, then no further conversation is possible. This mailing list is for
serious discussion and reflection on philosophical issues of deep import to the
vedAntic tradition. It is not for endless and frivolous exchange of posts on what
amounts to nothing more than childish taunts and name-calling. I suggest you
take this to some Gaudiya Vaishnava forum, where your heart seems to belong,
and you can preach to the converted. I hesitate to point you to any Madhva forum,
because there will be many sharp logicians there.

Regards,
Vidyasankar