[Advaita-l] Why should I believe in Adwaita vedanta over any other Philosophy?

Umashankar V urshankar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 12:49:22 CDT 2010

Dear Sri Praveen ji,

Sorry for the delay in my response. I did not want to hurry up in responding
and hence took time to write back.

Praveen ji,

Honestly, I have no other intention when I raise my questions on PrastAna
TrayA and what Shri Adi Shankara had said in his works. No intention of
putting anyone down or belittliting your views either.

You seem to have read and understood PrastAna TryA also you seem to be clear
and quite convinced that Bhavadpada had told what you have claimed as his
injunctions about the Guru.

So please help me with the answers for my earnest queries below.

1. Did Sri Adi Shankara anywhere in his works mentioned that the Guru MUST
be a brahmana and a shrotriya as well?

2. Can you kindly give reference ot the original text and kindly quote the
verses here as well?

3. Did Sri Adi Shankara anywhere in his works insist and lay stress upon the
study of PrastAna TrayA as fundamental requirement or a MUST-LEARN for a
sadhaka of the advaita path, for his realization?  If so, kindly help me
with the verses and the reference to the original text.

I have immense value for our shastras and its import and I do have my point
which I am not sure if it is being made clear as well as I intend to. The
answers to my above queries from you, would definitely help address the
same.

Sri Gurubhyo Nama!

Umashankar.V