[Advaita-l] Statements attributed to Sankara Bhagavatpada

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun May 30 04:33:13 CDT 2010

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Sunil Bhattacharjya <
sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> I have two queries and shall be grateful if the h onorable members can
> throw some light on these. The queries are as follows:
>
> 1)
> I came across a book in Assam which quoted the English translation of a
> Sanskrit verse, reportedly composed by Adi Sankaracharya, just before he
> left his mortal frame. The passage appeared in DAWN, Vol. III, August, 1899
> - 1990 (Edited by Satis Chandra Chatterjee. Reissued 2000, Jadavpur
> University in Association with National Council of Eucation, Bengal. p. 278)
>

> The translation is as follows:
>
> O' Lord Pardon me the three sins committed by me. I have by contmplation
> clothed Thee who art shapeless. I have in praise describe thee in who art
> indescribeable andd I have ignored Thine Omnipresence by visiting the
> tirthas or pilgrimages to shrines."
>
> Kindly let me know if Adi Sankaracharya composed any "Aparaadh Kshamaapana
> stotra", which contains the Sanskrit verses corresponding to the above
> lines.

Namaste.

There is one 'Shiva-aparAdha-Kshamaapana stotram' attributed to
Shankaracharya and this does not contain what you have stated above.  Pl.
see the following:

http://www.ahwan.org/article44.htm

// If The Lord or the *Brahman* is to be understood only within a particular
specification, will this not go contrary to the very definition of God in *
sanAtan* philosophy at the highest level? The bedrock of the *
sanAtan*philosophy (for that matter all true spiritual philosophies)
is that, God is
without any limited adjuncts. Therefore to confine God within the framework
of any form to begin with, is contradictory. So much so that one of our
famous prayers goes like this: The seeker laments:

*Rupam rupavivarjitasya bhavato dhyAnena yatkalpitam *

*StutyAnirvacaniyatAkhilaguro durikrtA yanmayA *

*VyApitvanca nirAkrtam bhagavato yattirthayAtrAdinA *

*Kshyantavyam jagadisha tadvikalatAdosatrayam matkrtam*

Oh Lord, while meditating I have attributed forms to the formless Thee. Oh
teacher, I have as it were described Thee, the indescribable, in my hymns, I
have assumed you, the omnipresent, as if confined only to holy places that I
have visited. Oh Lord forgive these three acts of audacity of mine.
These are indeed outpourings of a mind that realises that *Brahman* by
definition is incompatible with any limitation or confinement. //

2.
http://books.google.co.in/books?id=8OMOViiat4kC&pg=PA193&lpg=PA193&dq=rupam+rupavivarjitasya&source=bl&ots=nvUGjj9zRN&sig=8gF0ccyRN3NLpJCsnD-5kqQq-tg&hl=en&ei=wyoCTK36N82HcY2V5ZMK&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBkQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=rupam%20rupavivarjitasya&f=false

See the above URL  (scribd) which says that the above verse is attributed to
Vyasa.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v