[Advaita-l] GYAnimAtra and the sthitapraGYa (was Re: FW: Avidya, Jnanis and SSS' views)

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri May 21 03:24:06 CDT 2010

Sankara bhagavatpAda talks fairly extensively of vAsanA-s in the
bRhadAraNyaka
bhAshya 4.4.2, when explaining the word pUrva-prajnA. The entire
commentary on
the 4th brAhmaNa of the 4th adhyAya of this upanishad (4.4.1 to 4.4.25)
should
be read carefully, especially in the context of what happens at physical
death and
rebirth and what it all means for a mumukshu and the jnAnI.

sAshtAnga praNAms Sri Vidya prabhuji
Hare Krishna

prabhuji, when jnAni realizes that he is akatru, abhOktru & always
ashareeri how does a physical death of the jnAni can influence the jnAna
of that jnAni??  Moreover, kindly bear with my ignorance, from the above
para I am not able to understand whether you are agreeing that ajnAna
nivrutti eva mOksha or there needs to be something done after Atma jnAna
to attain mOksha ??  In the 4-4-6 shankara says vidvAn sa ihaiva brahma
yadyapi dehavAniva lakshyate, a brahmaiva san brahmApyeti...Ofcourse there
is  uniformity in what we are seeing during the death of the jnAni & an
ordinary mortal   but does jnAni really attached to his body to say : '
see I am undergoing all the changes in the physical body & I am getting
maraNa??  He is brahman, he is beyond dehAtma buddhi, the 'onlookers' may
see the 'same' procedure in maraNa but jnAni is always amara, amruta,
nirvikalpam and ajaM...He is ashareeri hence there is no priyApriya to him
(ashareeraM vAva saMtaM na priyApriye sprushataH says chAndOgya shruti).
Under these circumstances how can we define the physical death of the
jnAni from jnAni's perspective??

Kindly clarify whether you are part with the statement : vAsaNa kshaya AND
mOksha are two separate events in the same jnAni & Atma jnAna/brahmaikatva
adviteeya jnana  is 'kevala anga' to the mOksha ??

Your humble servant
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar