[Advaita-l] GYAnimAtra and the sthitapraGYa (was Re: FW: Avidya, Jnanis and SSS' views)

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu May 20 08:56:24 CDT 2010

> I agree with the above equation without any reservations prabhuji..Because
> shankara himself quite categorically expresses his opinion about mOksha &
> declares unambiguously that avidyA nivrutti is itself mOksha & there is no
> obstacle other than this (avidyA) for the mOksha..Atleast I hope
> vAsanAkshaya here means 'avidyA nivrutti'..na chAjnAna vyatirekeNa
> mOkshasya vyavadhAnAntaraM kalpayituM shakyaM!! says shankara in bruhad
> bhAshya. It is through our whimsical thinking we assume that there is a
> GAP between Atma jnAna & mOksha and two are different stages in the
> mumukshu/sAdhaka.

Sankara bhagavatpAda talks fairly extensively of vAsanA-s in the bRhadAraNyaka
bhAshya 4.4.2, when explaining the word pUrva-prajnA. The entire commentary on
the 4th brAhmaNa of the 4th adhyAya of this upanishad (4.4.1 to 4.4.25) should
be read carefully, especially in the context of what happens at physical death and
rebirth and what it all means for a mumukshu and the jnAnI.

Vidyasankar