[Advaita-l] GYAnimAtra and the sthitapraGYa (was Re: FW: Avidya, Jnanis and SSS' views)

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Wed May 5 20:13:51 CDT 2010

--- On Wed, 5/5/10, V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> through upasana to the extent of actually realizing the
> object of upasana
> (dhyeya devataa)*, owing to the firm hold of the
> obliteration of vasana and
> the dissolution of the mind, on him, the Renunciation of
> the Knower as well
> as Jivanmukti will follow Jnana (sAkShAtkAra) of their own
> accord.  *Such is
> the real student spoken of in the shAstra.
> *
> इदानीन्तनास्तु
> प्रायेण अकृतोपास्तय
> एव औत्सुक्यमात्रात्
> सहसा विद्यायां
> प्रवर्तन्ते ।
> वासनाक्ष्य-मनोनाशौ च
> तात्कालिकौ
> सम्पादयन्ति । तावता
> श्रवणमनननिध्यासनानि
> निष्पाद्यन्ते ।
> तैश्च
> दृढाभ्यस्तैरज्ञान-संशय-विपर्ययनिरासात्
> *तत्त्वज्ञानं
> सम्यगुदेति *।
> उदितस्य
> ज्ञानस्य
> बाधकप्रमाणाभावात्
> निवृत्ताया
> अविद्यायाः
> पुनसुत्पत्तिकारणाभाच्च
> *नास्ति
> तस्य शथिल्यम्* ।
> *वासनाक्ष्य-मनोनाशौ तु
> दृढाभ्यासाभावात्
> भोगप्रदेन
> प्रारब्धेन तदा तदा
> बाध्यमानत्वाच्च
> सवातप्रदेशदीपवत्सहसा
> निवर्तते *।
>
> Nowadays men rush in quest of Jnana,  out of sheer
> curiosity, in most cases
> even without going through the preliminary stage of
> upasana.  *They even
> reach the stage of obliteration of vasana and the
> dissolution of the mind
> for the time being*, and in consequence, study,
> contemplation and
> assimilation (of the VEdanta) are also fully accomplished
> by repeated
> application to these three; ignorance, doubt and false
> perception are
> demolished; *and real Jnana is achieved*.  In the
> absence of a more powerful
> means to counteract it and of any cause which can
> resuscitate the ignorance
> dispelled by it, *the resultatnt Jnana does not
> fade.*  *But then the
> obliteration of vasana and the dissolution of the mind are
> easily
> extinguished*, like a lamp exposed to the breeze, for want
> of steady
> application and in consequence of being influenced, from
> time to time, by
> the fruit-bearing previous karma.
>
> [translation complete]
>
> From the above the is clear :
>
>    1. The KRtopAsti and akRtopAsti of JMV is
> slightly different from
>    Bhagavan Ramana's view.
>    2. Accordingly, the second type,
> according to JMV, is an aparoksha jnani,
>    a mukta, not to return to samsara, but as

Not so. According to the JMV, the second type is NOT a mukta. To continue the JMV quote from above:

  tasmAdidanIMtanAnAM vidvatsaMnyAsinAM GYAnasyAnuvR^ittimAtram.h .
  vAsanAkshayamanonAshau tu prayatnasaMpAdyAv iti sthitam .

  "So it is held that for the vidvatsannyIs of these days only
  the GYAna continues. VAsanAkshaya and manonAsha are to be
  accomplished by effort to make it steady (sthitaM)."

Note that the second kind of students do NOT have steady knowledge! Hence they are NOT sthitapraGYas, and hence NOT jIvanmuktas!

(For the equation sthitapraGYa = jIvanmukta, see the first chapter of the JMV).

Besides, note that the second class of students (akR^itopAsti) still have to achieve vAsanAkShaya-manonAsha according to VidyAraNya, hence this is another reason they are not jIvanmuktas, as VidyAraNya gives the definition of jIvanmukti in the very beginning of the JMV:

  atha jIvanmuktisAdhanaM nirUpayAmaH .
  tattvaGYAnamanonAshavAsanAkshayaastatsAdhanam.h .

  "Now we will discuss the means to jIvanmukti. The knowledge
  of the Truth (tattvaGYAna), the annihilation of the mind
  (manonAsha) and the effacement of latent tendencies
  (vAsanAkshaya) are the means of jIvanmukti."

Since the akR^itopAsti's have not yet accomplished vAsanAkShaya-manonAsha, they cannot be considered jIvanmuktas.

However, it is correct that the GYAnimAtra is not a saMsArin either. He is in a state that can not be considered the same as that of an aGYAnI or a sthitapraGYa.

---

Here is yet another reason why there is no doubt that VidyAraNya considers saMyak-aparokSha-brahmaGYAna alone does NOT constitute jIvanmukti, as he gives the example of YAGYavalkya:

  asti hi yAGYavalkyasya tatprativAdinAM ushhasta-kaholAdInAM
  cha bhUyAnvidyAmadaH, taiH sarvairapi vijigIshhukathAyAM
  pravR^ittAt.h .

  "Even YAGYavalkya and his opponents ushhasta, Kahola and
  others, all had vast pride of learning inasmuch as all of
  them entered into disputation desiring victory."

  nanu teshhAM vidyAntaramevAsti na tu brahmavidyeti chet.h .

  "(Objection:) They had other learnings only, but not
  knowledge of Brahman."

  na, kathAgatayoH prashnottarayoH brahmavishhayatvAt.h .

  "(Reply:) It cannot be said so, since in that debate, all
  questions and answers thereto are found to be concerning
  Brahman."

  nanu brahmavishhayatve.api teshhAMApAtato GYAnameva na tu
  saMyagvedanaM iti chet.h .

  "(Objection:) Although Brahman was the object of discussion,
  they had only imperfect knowledge, not perfect (saMyak) knowledge."

  na, tathA satyasmAkamapi tadIyavAkyaiH utpannAyA
  brahmavidyayA asaMyaktvaprasangAt.h .

  "(Reply:) It cannot be said so, because, in that case, our
  knowledge of Brahman arising out of their statements shall
  also become imperfect knowledge."

  nanu saMyaktve.api paroxaGYAnameveti chet.h .

  "(Objection:) Although it is perfect (saMyak), yet it is mediate
  knowledge (parokSha) only."

  na 'yatsAxAt aparoxAdbrahma' (BR^i . up . 3.4.1) iti
  mukhya aparoxavishhayatayaiva visheshhitaH prashnopalambhAt.h .

  "(Reply:) To this we say no, as the questions put were
  especially concerned with the directness and immediateness
  of the knowledge of Brahman: 'That Brahman which is direct
  and immediate (aparokSha)' (B.U. 3.4.1) thus."

There can be no ambiguity about SV's opinion of YAGYavalkya's BrahmaGYAna. SV is not talking about YAGYavalkya as a mere "scholar of the scriptures", but as one who had known Brahman perfectly (saMyak) and immediately (aparokSha). In other words, according to VidyAraNya, YAGYavalkya had saMyak-aparokSha-brahmaGYAna.

But VidyAraNya emphatically denies that YAGYavalkya was a jIvanmukta:

  iyam evaasmadabhimataa jIvanmuktiH. yAGYavalkyaH tu
  vijigIshhudshaayaaM na hIdR^ishaH, cittavishraantaye
  vidvatsaMnyaasasya tena karishhyamANatvaat.h .

  "This is the jIvanmukti we approve of. But YAGYavalkya was
  not in this state while he was still desirous of victory in
  disputation, since he was yet to take the vidvatsannyAsa in
  order to set the mind at rest.

Put it simply:

According to VidyAraNya: YAGYavalkya had saMyak-aparokSha-brahmaGYAna.
According to VidyAraNya: YAGYavalkya did NOT have jIvanmukti.

(The reason I place the qualifier "According to VidyAraNya" in the two statements above is because one may perhaps dispute whether VidyAraNya's assessment of YAGYavalkya's BrahmaGYAna is correct, but there can be no doubt that in VidyAraNya's opinion, YAGYavalkya had saMyak-aparokSha-BrahmaGYAna but not jIvanmukti.)

Hence according to VidyAraNya, saMyak-aparokSha-BrahmaGYAna by itself does not constitute jIvanmukti. ***The BrahmaGYAna must ALSO be steady (sthitaM).***

***The "sthitaM" aspect of BrahmaGYAna is precisely what is accomplished by vAsanAkShya-manonAsha.***

I have explained all of this in detail in my postings on the JMV.