[Advaita-l] What causes samsara?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 13:02:43 CDT 2010

Namaste Anand ji,

Many thanks for the truly valuable details provided by you.  I read the old
post of yours from the link you have given.  One think struck me there:

//The asadvAda holds that the world arose from nonexistence. By showing that a
bhAvarUpa-ajnAna or tamas (Darkness) gave rise to the world, this theory is
refuted. According to asatkAryavAda, an effect does not pre-exist in its
cause. Variants of this theory are accepted not only by Buddhist schools but
also by realistic schools such as nyAya-vaisheShika. This stands refuted
because the world. which is a combination of names and forms, existed in its
causal state, bhAvarUpa ajnAna, before creation. The world of names and
forms is a product of this bhAvarUpa-ajnAna, and not different from it.//

I have for long wondered why in some places Shankaracharya has clubbed
the Naiyayika
and the Bauddha for refutation.  He has also called them:
ardha-vainAshikaH and pUrNa-
vainAshikaH respectively.

Could you let us have your thoughts on this?  While the Bauddha holds
the naiyAyika does not.  So, where is the close parallel between them?
Is it only
on the basis of asat-kAryavAda?