[Advaita-l] On the forms of Guru

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 27 13:35:52 CDT 2010

> Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 08:22:29 -0400
> From: anbesivam2 at gmail.com
> To: advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
> Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] On the forms of Guru
>
> "It should be perfectly obvious to anyone, from the context, when the word
> "heart" is used to refer to the physical organ and when the word is used in
> a non-literal manner. In my opinion, there is no need to go on and posit
> another entity, also called heart, non-physical in nature, but still
> physically
> located in the body on the right side of the chest. I mean no disrespect to
> Ramana Maharishi here."
>
> Sure, You have been labouring hard for a while to say Bhagavan Ramana is
> wrong.
>
> That's OK.

Dear Sri Anbesivam,
For whatever it is worth, please see the following.
From-http://www.realization.org/page/topics/self_inquiry.htm
Ramana Maharshi sometimes described the heart center as an actual object located in
the right side of the chest, but at other times he said this was an oversimplification for
people who couldn't understand the truth. According to H.W.L Poonja, Ramana
Maharshi told him:
When I speak of the 'I' rising from the right side of the body, from a location on the right side of the chest, the information is for those people who still think that they are the body. To these people I say that the Heart is located there. But it is really not quite correct to say that the 'I' rises from and merges in the Heart on the right side of the chest. The Heart is another name for the Reality and it is neither inside nor outside the body; there can be no in or out for it, since it alone is. I do not mean by 'Heart' any physiological organ or any plexus or anything like that
It is not OK to argue on false premises and then ascribe something to
another person something that he did not say or even imply. Pleasenote that I mentioned in an earlier post that textual sources prior to
the time of Ramana Maharishi do not use the word Heart in the same
way. Especially not the gItA. As such, when I quoted the gItA as
saying "hRd-deSe", you replied that heart means the Atman. This is
not correct either for the gItA or for any of its commentaries. That
is all from me on this topic. You are welcome to misinterpret, in your
own unique way, everything that I write.
Regards,Vidyasankar