[Advaita-l] BhAvarUpa ajnAna/avidya Part 3

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 05:27:41 CDT 2010

Namaste.
In the bhashyam for the Brahma Sutra 1.1.5 ईक्षतेः न अशब्दम् we have an
interesting question-answer: Brahman 'saw/deliberated/desired' and therefore
we conclude that It is chetana vastu.  Now, this Brahman is the subject,
ईक्षणकर्ता.  What is the object, karma, that is 'seen' by the kartA
Brahman?  Says the bhashyam:

किं पुनः तत्कर्म, यत्प्रागुत्पत्तेः ईश्वरज्ञानस्य विषयो भवति ? इति ।
What is the object, karma, that is 'seen' by the kartA Brahman, prior to
creation?

तत्त्वान्यत्वाभ्यां अनिर्वचनीये नामरूपे अव्याकृते व्याचिकीर्षते इति ब्रूमः ।
//Name and form, we reply, which can be defined neither as being identical
with Brahman nor as different from it, unevolved but about to be evolved.//

This 'object' vishaya, for Brahman, the kartA, prior to creation, is:
avidyA/mAyA/mUlAvidyA.  It is with this basic material that Ishwara/Brahman
creates the world which is the manifest form of the unmanifest.

Thus, in the analysis done by Shankaracharya, we have a neat
subject-object-predicate tool involved.

The subject is: Brahman.

The Object: is the
avyaktaa/maayaa/avidyaa/mUlAvidyA/unmanifest/shakti/beeja-shakti.

The predicate: is the ईक्षणक्रिया the act of
'seeing/deliberating/desiring'.  It is this predicate that became the vital
ground for the Vedantin to refute the saankhyan proposition and clinch the
issue in favour of the Brahman of the Upanishads.  And that clinching
reasoning is: BECAUSE 'seeing' can be a property of only a sentient being.

Now, four important corollaries stem from the above Bhashyam:

1.  Shankara teaches that there is a विषय-विषयि realtionship between avidyA
and Brahman.

2. Avidya is the viShaya and Brahman, the viShayI.  Therefore, the viShaya,
AvidyA/ajnAna/mAya has to be a bhavarUpa vastu.

3. This bhAvarUpa avidyA is the upAdaana kAraNam for the world.  It is with
this shakti Brahman becomes the Creator.

4. This bhAvarUpa avidyA is viShaya for Brahman 'before' creation.  In other
words, prior to adhyAsa, there is a cause and this cause is avidyA.

This bhashya vAkyam is another proof, a very explicit one, for avidyA being
bhAvarUpa.  Shankara uses the word 'viShaya' in respect of avidyA.

In the case of avidyA-kArya like icchA, dveSha, etc. the kShetrajna is the
viShayi and these are the viShayas.  In the case of prapancha kAraNa-avidyA,
Brahman itself is the viShayi.

Om Tat Sat