[Advaita-l] Shikha and Kundala

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Mar 23 04:35:47 CDT 2010

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, sriram nagaraj wrote:

> Dear List Members,
>
> I am planning on keeping the traditional tuft (Shikha) this August when
> I visit India again.

Bravo!

> I would like to know if earrings (Kundala) can be
> worn by Brahmacharis or if it is reserved for Grihastas.

As per the pAraskara GrhyasUtra, chuDakaraNa saMskAra (piercing of the
ears) should take place at 2 or 3 years or "yathA ma~ngalaM" which is
interpreted as "according to the local/family tradition" which in our case
means at the time of upanayana. Hopefully other list members will speak up
if southern customs are different from this.

I have kept Shikha since I had upanayana but because I did not know any
better and my father was rather irreligious in those days I never had the
chuDakarana.  I intend to rectify this when my own son has upanayana in a
couple of years.

> As I know,
> Kacchham (5 yards dhoti) is to be worn by Grihastas and simple dhoti by
> Brahmacharis.

This is another local custom.  We Gujaratis don't really make a
distinction.