[Advaita-l] Bhagavan Ramana and the pain of cancer

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 11:35:50 CST 2010

1. In the book: 'How Free Are We?' Sri  A.R. Natarajan writes:

// The great ones have demonstrated in their lives as to how one can
completely delink oneself from one"s own body and remain unaffected by its
changes or sufferings. *Ramana*"s body went through intense *pain*, caused
by sarcoma, for over fifteen months. Not one moment did he complain of it
though the *pain* must have been excruciating. When asked by Major Chadwick
whether he was suffering, *Ramana* said 'No". But at the same time, he said
'There is *pain*" – the *pain* pertained to the body and not to him. Hence
His bewitching smile and divine splendour, even on the 14th April 1950 when
he chose to give up his body which had been racked with intense *pain*.//

2.
http://www.writespirit.net/authors/ramana_maharshi/life_of_ramana_maharshi/

// For the last 2 years of his life the Maharshi suffered from cancer and
experienced great physical pain, but even towards the end he maintained the
same tranquil poise and self same radiant smile. When he was suffering from
cancer in the arm a disciple ran away crying because he could not bear to
see his master in pain. Ramana only smiled and spoke to a disciple nearby.

“Duraiswami is crying because he thinks I am suffering agonies! My body is
suffering but I am not suffering. When will he realise that I am not this
body?” //