[Advaita-l] Mind and Self (was Re: On the forms of Guru)

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 19:17:17 CST 2010

In this connection, a dialogue between Ramanar and a devotee/aspirant is
worth reading:

http://www.hinduism.co.za/jnani-.htm

The word 'mano naasam' has a different meaning; all confusion arises when
one takes the meaning in a literal sense.  Swami Paramarthananda has
explained this very well in one of his talks:

A pot can be said to have been 'destroyed' in two ways:

1.  when the pot is dropped or hit by a stick, the pot breaks and there is
no longer a thing called 'pot'.  This is naasam of the pot.

2.  When through mere vivekam one realizes that the pot is nothing but its
material 'clay', one can accomplish the 'naasam' of the pot.  In this viveka
dRiShti, the pot is merely clay and the pot-name and pot-form are just
superimposed non-matter.

Even so, mano naasam means only the latter type; the literal naasam of the
manas is impossible; it happens only when the Jnani's body undergoes death;
videha kaivalyam.  For the Jnani, owing to Self-realization, the mind-shakti
has been realized to be just an appearance; there is no longer that shakti
that can bind him to the world.  Yet, the apparatus called mind does not
vanish; it remains, has to remain, to enable him to connect to the world as
long as the body remains.  When Ramana says 'the mind has been destroyed',
what is meant is only the binding-mind is 'destroyed', rendered
ineffective.  He does not mean that the apparatus-mind has been destroyed.
If that has happened, He would not be able to even say anything about the
Jnani to any questioner.

Om Tat Sat