[Advaita-l] The Enlightened Eminently Engage in Empirical Endeavors - Part 2

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 06:15:05 CST 2010

Dear Sir,

I am at a loss to understand how and why the idea of a personality of the
Shruti-based persons could be linked to apauruSheyatva or a beginning date
for the Shruti.  I certainly feel that this confusion is not at all
warranted.  Just because someone considers or concludes that the
Shruti-mentioned characters are 'certain' personalities, why should it lead
to the negation of apaurusheyatva of Shruti?  Take for instance the
Kathopanishat.

For the very first mantra of this Upanishat

// Vajasravasa, desiring rewards, performed the Visvajit sacrifice, in which
he gave away all his property. He had a son named Nachiketa. //

the Acharya starts the commentary with the words:

//तत्राख्यायिका विद्यास्तुत्यर्था । // The *story* there is by way of
eulogizing the knowledge.//

Thus according to Shankara, this is a story.  This could lead us to conclude
that the characters in the Upanishad are 'not real', fictitious.  But quite
contrary to our misapprehensions, Shankara does not treat them as
fictitious.  He considers Nachiketas and Yama to be real, exalted
personalities worthy of the highest reverence.  So, at the beginning of the
Kathopanishad introduction, the Acharya dedicates a shloka in veneration:

ऒम् नमो भगवते वैवस्वताय मृत्यवे ब्रह्मविद्याचार्याय नचिकेतसे च ।

/Salutation to Bhagavan Yama, Death, son of of the Sun and the imparter of
the knowledge of Brahman, and salutation to Nachiketa./

Now, if Shankara's considering Y and N as venerable ones makes these
characters historical ones, will the Kathopanishat be rendered paurusheya,
with a date of composition?  Surely, it cannot be denied that to offer
namaskara, the object of veneration has to be considered a 'real' person,
with a name, a certain form, a set of characteristic features identifiable.
Shankara has taken into consideration all these aspects and offers His
namaskara to Y and N.

In the Jivan Mukti Viveka, Swami Vidyaranya analyses the character of Sage
Yajnavalkya.  He raises a question on the very jnAnitva of Yajnavalkya and
concludes that since the Upanishat portrays him as a Brahma vidya Acharya,
his Brahmavittva  should not be doubted.  Sw. Vidyaranya goes on to cite
instances of how Yajnavalkya was 'attached' to wealth in the form of cows
and gold and money and even gave room to anger when he cursed Shaakalya to
death in a debate, etc.  All this discussion comes in the Vasana kshaya
prakaraNam, if I am not mistaken.

Now, just because an Upanishadic character is analysed considering him as a
'real' person, can we implicate that Vidyaranya is rendering the
Briharadranyaka Upanishad paurusheya?

There are many  such instances.  While being taught the Bhashya, our own
Acharya, a Brahma jnani, used to cite us the case, the character of Maitreyi
and teach us how one should keep her as an ideal for a tattva jignaasu.
Nachiketas has always been the role model for all aspirants of Atma tattva.
Janaka, again, an ideal for his unquenchable thirst for Tattva vichara and
vivada.  By venerating Upanishadic personalities we are certainly not
rendering the Upanishads paurusheya.  All our pUrvaacharyas have shown
precedents in this.  To fault them would be our folly.  Certainly these are
not mere 'names' used to help us easily grasp the tattva being taught in the
Upanishads.  There is a lot to draw from these personalities and this is
what our Acharyas have done all along.

Best regards,
subrahmanian.v