[Advaita-l] The Enlightened Eminently Engage in Empirical Endeavors - Part 2

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 4 02:00:14 CST 2010

Sir

The point I am trying to make is not that Sri Sankara himself mentions various j~nAnis; in fact, I anticipated that and gave the reply to that. The point is if we need Sruti praamaaNyataa for the statement that j~nAnis also have bodies, minds and intellect, the proper way would be quote any vakya which establishes that; that Sruti mentions ajAtaSatru, yaaj~navalkya, janaka, uddaalaka, Svetaketu, naarada, sanatkumaara, varuNa, bhrigu, nachiketa and others as j~naanis and since it is obvious that they have BMI, cannot be taken to prove that j~naanis have BMI. Why? Because ajAtaSatru to nachiketa and others are not to be taken as historical persons. The names are mentioned so that the subject being taught is easily grasped.

Why cannot they be taken as historical persons? If we do take them as historical persons, the question arises as to whether the vedas were present or not, when YAj~navalkya declared his decision to renounce the world. If the Vedas were not present, there obviously is a beginning to them and then the question arises as to who wrote or recorded them. This is a contravention of the apaurusheyatva of Vedas. If we assume that Vedas were indeed present event as KAtyAyanI stays quiet and Maitreyi asks for the ultimate treasure, we have to perforce exclude the BrihadaaraNyaka portion from the corpus of Vedas available at that time. So the AraNyaka and Upanishad of one SAkha of SAmaveda have a definite beginning which is after the YAj~navalky-Maitreyi samvaada; similarly some part of the TaittirIya SAkha of yajurveda begins after the varuNa-bhrigu samvaada. By induction most of the Vedas would have an identifiable beginning, which is against the traditional view.

Thus the proper Sruti support for the motion is not the reference to various persons as j~naanis. What is it,  then? The portion from srishTikrama which describes how Brahman became many is a better support.

Best regards
Senani