[Advaita-l] Brahmins and Vaishnavas

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 30 21:45:43 CDT 2010

--- On Thu, 7/29/10, Venkatesh Murthy <vmurthy36 at gmail.com> wrote:

> This website has questioned Brahmanas
> today. Have they become Sudras?
> http://gosai.com/writings/the-ontological-position-of-the-vaishnava-over-the-brahmana

I admire the frank and scholarly discussions in that site. But I believe the conclusion is misplaced: "The followers of Mahaprabhu hailed from all walks of life, thus confirming that the transcendental designation of 'Vaisnava' is above the social laws of varnasrama."

How then can one explain the following verse from the Vishnu Purana (Book 3, Chapter 8):

varNAshramAchAravatA purushheNa paraH pumaan.h .
vishhNuraaraadhyate panthaa naanyaat.h tattoshhakaaraNam.h ..

"The supreme Vishnu is propitiated by a man who observes the institutions of caste, order, and purificatory practices: no other path is the way to please him."

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/vp/vp082.htm