[Advaita-l] Anya Devata

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 01:41:46 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 8:06 PM, Ramanan Subramanian <prahladadasa at gmail.com
> wrote:

> > If he were as
> > strong a vaishNava as some would like to believe, the kenopanishat would
> > have been a great place for him to describe umA-haimavatI as the sahodarI
> > of sarvajna-ISvara, rather than a sahacAriNI.
>

> I would have some reservations about that. "Parvati Devi as the sister of
> Vishnu" does not, as far as I know, exist in any of the Sanskrit
> Puranas/Itihasas/Smriti.

In the Srimadbhagavatam, Krishnavataram, there is the mention of the birth
of Yoga Maya, a girl child to the / a wife of Nandagopa.  This child was
brought to Mathura where Devaki-Vasudeva were imprisoned.  Kamsa tried to
kill this girl baby.  The girl flew up from Kamsa's grips and revealed that
She would be worshiped in the world with these names:

durgeti bhadrakALi iti vijayaa vaiShNavi iti cha |
kumudA chaNDikA kRShNA madhavee kanyaketi cha ||
mAyA nArAyaNI cha IshAnA shaaradEtyambiketi cha |  10.2.11 - 12

Could these names, Durga, etc., be associated with PaarvatI, the consort of
Shambhu, Shiva?

And in this birth She is shown as born to KrishNa' s forster father
Nandagopa.

Can we not conclude that She is Krishna's sister in this case?

The Lalita Sahasra Nama has this one name for the Mother:  PadmanAbha
sahodarI (280 / 281).

Here, in this famous song by MuthaiaH Bhagavatar, the word: rAma sahodarI
occurs:

*Himagiri Thanaye*

*Pallavi*
Himagiri thanaye hemalathe amba