[Advaita-l] The meaning of the Bhashyam expressions - 'dehavAniva lakshyate', etc.

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 19:31:38 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 4:05 AM, V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>wrote:

> ShrIgurubhyo namaH
>
> In the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad Bhashyam, the Acharya makes a comment:
> '....dehavAniva lakshyate... [(The Jnani) appears to be one with a body].
> In the sequel is presented the method of understanding the meaning of this
> Bhashyam expression.
>
> [Although I have myself seen this quotation, i am unable to trace its
> reference. ]

Namaste.

The above quotation is traced to the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad mantra 4.4.6
where
occurs the portion: 'na tasya prANA utkrAmanti, brahmaiva san brahmApyeti'.
The Bhashyam sentence under our consideration is: //kintu vidvAn saH ihaiva
brahma, yadyapi dehavAniva lakShyate sa brahmaiva san brahmaapyeti. //

The portion deals with the Jnani's death. In the case of the ajnani death
will
certainly result in his taking another body. For this, the method is that
his
organs, such as that of speech, depart from the body and proceed to take
another
body. But in the case of the Jnani, the organs do not depart at all. Since
the
Jnani has nothing in him that can cause another embodiment, he has no
re-birth. So, the Upanishad says he is Brahman in this very life. He is with
a body only apparently. That is, he is seen to be as though  identified with
the body.  He is Brahman in this life itself, not after
the body falls. A Jnani, after his death, has no change of condition -
something different from what he was in this life, brahmaiva san, but he is
only not connected with another body. This is what is meant by his becoming
'merged in Brahman' (brahmaapyeti).

The Upanishad or Shankaracharya do not deny that there is a body connected
the Jnani. That is the reason why they talk about the death of the Jnani and
compare it with the death of ajnani-s. The comparison lies in: the prANa-s
departing from the body of the ajnani upon death and these not departing
from
the body of the jnani upon death. Thus comments Shankaracharya: 'yadyapi sa
vidvAn dehavAniva lakshyate sa brahmaiva san brahmaapyeti.' Since one's idea
of
Brahman is that which is all-pervading and not confined to a body, one would
not
be able to appreciate that the Jnani in a body is Brahman. But the Upanishad
says he is 'brahman indeed (even now)'. In order to clear this apparent
dichotomy Shankaracharya comments that 'even though the jnani seems to have
body, he is Brahman'. Shankaracharya does not even imply that 'ajnani-s
superimpose a body on the Jnani'. If that were his implication, it would
contradict the scripture and His own statements elsewhere (BSB 4.1.15, for
instance) and even in this very bhashya in the earlier and subsequent
sentences
where the Upanishad talks about the death of the Jnani.

One can read the discussion on this in the English translation of the
Brihadaranyaka Upanishad by Swami Madhavananda on pages 500 and 501.

It would be interesting to find a treatment of a similar situation in the
Bhagavadgita Chapter 18. Here, verses 11 and 12 deal with the comparison of
the
death of the ajnani-s and the jnani. While the ajnani, upon death, is bound
take a high, low or middling birth, the Jnani, upon death, takes none. It is
significant that the word 'dehabhRt' (one with a body) is commented upon by
the
Acharya here too as: 'dehAtmAbhimAnavAn dehabhRt uchyate' - the one with
body-identification is called a dehabhRt. This person is contrasted with the
'sannyaasin' who is a jnani.

The general thinking that 'a body is self-identified by someone' is the
underlying theme in both the Br.Up. and the above Gita verses, contrasting
such
a one with someone without such an identification with the body.