[Advaita-l] Bh.Gita verse 18.73 - Was Arjuna an 'aparoksha Jnani'? - Part 4

ravi chandrasekhara vadhula at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 11:21:45 CDT 2010

Pranam to all,

My understanding is the following:

1.Certain anuloma vivahas, especially involving female of the next lower varna result in progeny of the paternal varna.
2.If female is below the next varna, then it is a mixed caste which if both parents are dvijas, so is the mixed caste.
3.If either parent is a shudra, then the mixed caste is like/treated as a shudra and hence no dvija status or veda-adhikara.
4.According to Manu Smriti, a man should marry a woman of same varna then subsequent wives can be of lower varnas.
5.However, the names given for progeny of anuloma vivahas, do not specify whether the wife of lower varna is a subsequent wife or primary and only wife.
6.Progeny of niyoga relationships (like the way Pandu was conceived) belong to the mother's husband's caste not the biological father.  FYI, niyoga is banned in Kali yuga.
7.The birth of veda Vyasa was extraordinary and hence varna status is accorded differently.  BTW, Satavati was a Kshatriya raised by fisherman couple (Shudra or Panchama ?)

Ravi Chandrasekhara