[Advaita-l] Anya Devata

sriram srirudra at vsnl.com
Tue Jul 27 07:08:54 CDT 2010

Dear Sri Rajaram Venkatraman and temple
You   have yourselves  quoted Sri Sankara`s bhashyam as to what He has said
about anya devatha.If you look at sloka 9.23 -yepyanyadevatha ------Avidhi
poorvakam-of the Gita the meaning for anyadevatha is other demigods.What
Lord Krishna says here is that Sraddha is the cornerstone for worship.There
is no anyadevatha other than Brahman but because of avidhya this situation
arises-avidhi poorvakam-.Even then if it is done with sraddha one will
attain annulment of avidhya leading to Brahmagyanam.Rituals and worship of
ishta devathas are part of Vedic tradition but one should transcend them by
self enquiry.I hope it helps your search.R.Krishnamoorthy.