[Advaita-l] The Human aspect of Jnanis - 5 (Concluded)

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 06:58:52 CDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Mahesh Ursekar
<mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com>wrote:

> Pranams Sri Subrahmanian:
>
> Thanks for your enlightening post. The state of a self-realized soul is
> indeed hard to explain and you have nicely brought out the many problems
> associated with it.
>
> I would like to add one more problem, which, I think, has not been covered
> by your posts. When a person such as this writes a spiritual treatise - may
> it be the Brahma Sutra or the Vivekachoodamani - who is the author of it?
> Is
> it the BMI of the individual? If yes, it will not be Shruti (or revealed
> text i.e. work without authorship).

Namaste.

Any work written be it the Brahma Sutras  by Badarayana or the Bhashya by
Bhagavatpada Shankara is essentially 'pUreSheya'.  They have been authored
by the author, a person.  Only the BMI can be an author of any work.  So,
these works are not 'apaurusheya' Shruti.  Other than BMI we can think of
only the Atman.  Atman cannot author anything as it is devoid of any action
(agency) since there is no apparatus  called the mind, intellect, sense
organs and motor organs like hands for the Atman.

We regard the above mentioned works as authored by realized persons.  Jnanam
cannot author any work; a Jnani can.

Regards,
subbu