[Advaita-l] Temple Worship by Gurukkals/Sivacharyas

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 31 08:28:17 CST 2010

> ... why are those Brahmins who worship in Temples given a "lower" status?
> Is it the case all over India, or is it only in Tamilnadu?

There is no clear answer to the why, but such grouping in the social hierarchy

is definitely very regional. There are similar hierarchies in Karnataka and Andhra
too, but in Kerala, both vaidika karmA and temple worship traditions are preserved
within the same nambUdiri families. Social status rankings within nambUdiri society
does not correlate with association with temple rituals. I'm not sure what the
hierarchies in north India are like.

If I remember right, there is a prohibition by manu, against inviting a temple priest
for partaking of the food at annual SrAddha observances for the ancestors.

Vidyasankar