[Advaita-l] Conference on that Date of Adi Sankaracharya in October, 2002

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 17 09:17:43 CST 2010

Shri Varadaraja Sharma,
Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya
As regards the Jinavijaya did you take any trouble to find out when was it mentioned in the earliest available extant literature? I am sure you didn't. That was expected of an armchair critic like you. There are references to Jinavijaya in the extant literature during the Pre-AIT period ie. before the AIT was concocted by Max Muller, the same person who insisted that Adi Sankaracharya was born in the 8th century CE. Jinavijaya contradicted what Max Muller expounded and what was thereafter supported by the colonial historians. The British historians obviously saw to it that the Jinavijaya is destroyed as that was the biggest hardle in their pet theory of AIT.
The AIT showed Lord Buddha and Lord Mahavira to be contemporaries by reducing the antiquity of Lord Buddha by about 13 centuries. The Jains obviously had little to complain and some of the Jains even claimed Lord Buddha to be a disciple of Lord Mahavira. Was that not a reason to believe that the Jains too were not interested in proving the  AIT wrong through the Jinavijaya as that would have giiven  higher  antiquity to Lord Buddha.
As regards king Sudhanva's copper inscription your sweeping statements have no value. However if you are interested in having a look at the Copper inscription then you may contact the Dwarka Math and they will give all the information to you. May be they will ask you to visit them to have a look at the relevant materials.
As regards Adi Sankaracharya's childhood friend can you say with the specifics as to what you want to say instead of making a clever evasive allegation.
If you have accepted Max Muller's date of Adi Sankaracharya and the AIT as the Vedavakya I have nothing to say.
Om Namo Bhagavate Vasuevaya.