[Advaita-l] Being Human

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Jan 10 15:15:45 CST 2010

Yajvan, namaste.

As a student of philosophy, your question is a very familiar one to me.

In Western society, it's considered 'polite' or 'good manners' to put modesty before truth !
And behind that, is a more serious spiritual matter. Western Europe has centuries of 'official' dvaita and saguna (call it two-world if you must) religion, when to claim to 'have God within you' or some similar statement, has led to thousands being put to death..
So the West will only get over this slowly.. It's not quite as easy as 'New Age' teachers claim !

What does the West need ? The nearest aid is the mystical tradition of the one witness, which has been there in poets continuously in the West, to match Rumi and Kabir.

Then we need more exposure to Shankara and the teachings and confidence of Hinduism. Judging from current accounts, American Christianity is moving toward a more 'Sanatana Dharma' view of the world.

And then there's experience, which the West values so highly...anyone who comes out of meditation into the familiar world will recognize, in those first few moments, if not longer, their own 'real' nature and stature.

Well, that's my five pice..

Michael