[Advaita-l] On the date of Adi Shankara

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Jan 5 05:40:58 CST 2010

Pranams Sri Bhaskar prabhuji

Thank you for your response.

I don't want to push intellectual discussion too far... but the 'proofs' of
this wonderful, indescribable universe and its workings are said to be
shastra, guru or paramatman, viveka and swasnubhava...

There's no 'problem' with saakshin in experience : one may need to work at
'self-observation' or detachment for it to be there all the time, though !

And it seems to me that saakshin is one great 'tool' with which to
understand and live the mahavakya more profoundly in experience.

Logical reasoning can help inasfar as recognising how near and how far, the
mind may take one towards the realm of atman..

Advice from paramahamsas, over the years, I've personally been fortunate in
receiving in abundance.

But as saakshin is a term that I've met less frequently, I was interested to
know what the shastra might have to say. I appreciate that there are many
paths to kaivalya or mukta, and that other Sanskrit terms indicate the same
path to understanding; so that was my original question..

The connection between the indescribable atman and our individual experience
of saakshin will still remain a wondrous gift, whatever is said or not said,
defined or not defined !

Michael