[Advaita-l] On the date of Adi Shankara

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Jan 4 14:13:14 CST 2010

May I round off this matter of saakshin with a little dignity, as a thank
you to those who helped with this ?

The question originated with a lady asking about peeling potatoes and
carrots : should she be aware of 'the witness' in giving attention to the
job in hand, or  simply aim to be 'fully present' and let the job get done ?

And I remembered an incident from years ago, which really annoyed me at the
time..

I was doing ashram seva, and was given the instruction 'Let the knowledge do
the work !'
It didn't mean much. But later I was vacuuming a carpet, and afterwards was
asking about the experience. The guru asked 'Where was the vacuum cleaner ?'

I said, it had disappeared... there was just myself and the work doing
itself... and the guru roared with laughter; and I didn't see the joke..

Now I realise that I had been given the answer. In terms of saakshin, there
appears at first to be a duality of witness and what is witnessed. But that
duality can disappear since the real saakshin, which witnesses all, can
subsume man, vacuum cleaner, carpet, the action, the mind and the emotions,
into itself; and then 'the knowledge does the work'. And the work brings the
knowledge.

Well that satisfies me; I hope it makes sense.
It's good when the theoretical and the practical meet at last.

Michael