[Advaita-l] Fwd: A perspective -20

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 04:17:27 CST 2010

Dear Sri Subramanian,

In the first post under this thread I wrote: " Advaitha teaches us that
giving up the intellect enables one to become one with this Reality."

This seems to have triggered the discussion.  I have within my ability
justified my statement since then.  *A gnyani is one with the reality and as
such he is asangan.*   I have dealt on this subject of being asangan on my
commentary on the 100th verse of Sivaanandhalahari in the following link
while commenting on BhagavathpaadhaaL's use of the word "sthOthrENaalam".

http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2010-February/045438.html

*As far agnyaani his first step is to realize that he suffers from
thaapathrayam which alone impels him to seek release.*  (If he is happy with
what goes on with him and the world then he wouldn't seek to alter it.)
That would be the acquiring of aathmagnyaanam which can be obtained only by
the surrender to the Guru.  Such ability to surrender to a Guru comes out of
sukrutham in many many births.

Then what happens between him and the Guru is one-on-one and does not
involve any set pattern and the upadesa may involve words or not even
words.  Bhagavan Ramana gave nayana dheeksha to many people.  My examples
from Ramayana and Bhagavatha are in these lines.

Who can assert that the intellect was involved in all these?

You have said: "If there is no mind, a human and a stone are non
different."  True.  But what distinguishes a gnyaani and agnyaani is that
one does not have a mind while the other has. (Perhaps that would put the
gnyaani as equal to a stone!!).  No, no this is just aside and lightly put!
What I am saying is that it is preposterous to say that a gnyaani needs the
mind to carry on in this world.  He is there exhausting his praarabhdha
karma but he is asangan.  What he seems to be doing is a destiny that he
knows unlike the agnyaani but may not care for he is asangan.

On the Vyavahaarika sattha I have stated that it is God's creation and
nothing in the world moves without Him who moves without Himself moving.  In
other words, everything is pre-destined.

Why so?  Because the world is a product of karma and Easwara as Karmaphala
Dhaatha has to ensure that the phala that he has dispensed is not overcome
by any means.  He ensures this by being the space, time and causality and
the jeeva too!  Now tell me how can anyone with only a useless weapon as an
intellect can challenge his will?  Our puraNas are replete with instances
that such overcoming of the Lord is impossible.

On this question a devotee asked Bhagavan Ramana if everything has been
destined then what about his sneezing and his hiccups?  Were they destined
too?   And Bhagavan said: "YES"!

>From this you can figure out the ability of the intellect.

In any case there is no substitute to the first step that I have stated
above.

Subhamasthu,
Anbu