[Advaita-l] A perspective -20

Kuntimaddi Sadananda ksadananda108 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 02:05:13 CST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Anbu sivam2 <anbesivam2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Even in vyavahaarika sattha *we all know who we are* without the medium of
> the mind.
>
> Shree Anbu -PraNAms

This may be my last mail on this topic since I had discussed the role of the
mind in the previous posts.

No. from my understanding what you say is not correct. No knowledge can take
place without the mind, including self-knowledge. There is no mind in the
suShupti. Mind is needed even to know that I am ignorant. Only in the waking
state when the mind is awake, I make a statement that I did not know
anything in the deep sleep state, since mind was not there to know that I
was ignorant at that time. Sureswara discusses this point eloberately in his
Naiskarmya Siddhi.

In vyavahaara, I identify with the BMI where ahankaara which is part of
antaHkaraNa or Mind in general term with identification as I am this, where
this includes starting with intellect, mind and body- So without the mind, I
would do not know who I am is. Mind is absent in the deep sleep state or it
is in potential form - so is my notion of who am I. I do not know even
ignorance too since mind is absent. With the mind present no realization -
says amRitabindu Upanishad. This has been analyzed by Sureshwara and
Vidyaranya exhaustively.

About animals’ and in fact for that matter any body else’s realization is
matter of faith.  If you believe that, let that be so - a belief.  . Beliefs
are unquestionable since they are beliefs.

About the 10th story, I will be analyzing soon.
Hari Om!
Sadananda