[Advaita-l] Complete Works of Sankaracharya - Appeal from Samata Books

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 18 09:02:52 CST 2010

A hundred years ago (in 1910), the Vani Vilas Press in Srirangam published 20 volumes containing all the works attributed to Adi Sankara Bhagavatpada. These volumes were brought out under the direction and guidance of Swami Saccidananda Sivabhinava Narasimha Bharati, the then Jagadguru Sankaracharya of Sringeri. It was in the same year that renovations and new constructions of temples were finished in Kaladi, the birth place of Adi Sankara.

A few decades ago, Sri V. Sadanand, owner of Samata Books in Chennai, rearranged the 20 volumes into a set of 10 volumes and republished them, with the blessings of Jagadguru Sankaracharya Swami Abhinava Vidyatirtha of Sringeri. These volumes are available with Samata Books, which is run now by Sri V. Krishna, son of Sri Sadanand, and are priced very nominally  (http://www.samatabooks.com/content/complete-works-sankaracharya). In this regard, I am forwarding an email from Sri Krishna to our list, at his request.

While there are other publications available for purchase, this 10-volume set is unique in that it has all the works traditionally attributed to Adi Sankara in one set, in the original Sanskrit, graced with a benedictory Srimukham from the Sringeri Acharya. I ordered a set for myself along with some other Samata publications, when I visited India recently and can highly recommend it to readers of this list. In this centenary year of the original publication of the complete set, please actively consider adding this set to your library and forward the link and information to like minded friends and acquaintances. I would normally hesitate to promote any commercial vendor here on this list, but am making an exception in this case only because I think many of our list-members would be interested in these publications.

Best regards,

Vidyasankar

Dear Mr.Vidyasankar Sundaresan,
Namaste,
We have Published THE COMPLETE WORKS OF ADI SANKARACHARYA IN 10 Volumes in SANSKRIT.  The Set is Priced at Rs.4,000/- (Postage/courier will be charged according to the current rates).

The Volumes are classified as:

VOLUME I   STOTRAS
VOLUME 2  PRAKARNA PRABANDHAVALI
VOLUME 3  UPADESA RACHANAVALI
VOLUME 4  PRAPANCHASARA
VOLUME 5  LAGHU BHASYA
VOLUME 6  GITA BHASYA
VOLUME 7  BRAHMA SUTRA BHASYA
VOLUME 8  COMMENTARY ON SHORT UPANISHADS
VOLUME 9  COMMENTARY ON CHANDOGYA UPANISHAD
VOLUME 10 COMMENTARY ON BRIHADARANYAKA UPANISHAD

If you can forward our appeal to your friends and like-minded seekers, it will be of great help to us. Most of our capital has been put into the production of this set and we can ship out copies immediately after an order is placed.

In addition, we have also published THE BHAGAVAD GITA, TAITTIRIYA UPANISHAD, DAKSHINAMURTI STOTRA  (translation of texts and commentaries by Alladi Mahadeva Sastri), PRABODHASUDHAKARA, DASA MAHA VIDYA, SRI CHAKRA, MESSAGE IN MOVEMENTS (BOOK ON BHARATANATYAM), ESSENCE OF YOGA-VASISHTHA, VISION AND WAY OF VASISHTHA, among others.

Regards,
Krishna V
www.samatabooks.com