[Advaita-l] The Purport of Creation-passages in the Upanishads

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 11:17:27 CST 2010

Thank you Kathirasan ji,

What you have suggested is indeed in the Sutra bhashya 1.4.14:

The context is about the various illustrations given to explain
creation.  The Acharya says:

तथा च संप्रदायविदो वदन्ति - [Thus say the knowers of the tradition (of
teaching the Vedanta)] -
मृल्लोहविस्फुलिङ्गाद्यैः सृष्टिर्या चोदिताऽन्यथा ।
उपायः सोऽवताराय नास्ति भेदः कथञ्चन ॥ (Mandukya KArikA 3.15)

Now, while looking into this Sutra Bhashya, I suddenly recalled that
what I had seen a few days ago and made a request for a reference is
this kaarikA -

अनादिमायया सुप्तो यदा जीवः प्रबुध्यते ।
अजमनिद्रमस्वप्नं अद्वैतं बुध्यते तदा ॥ 1.16 ||
//When the jiva, asleep under the influence of beginningless maya, is
awakened, it then realizes birthless, sleepless and dreamless
Non—duality.//

I have a BSB Ashtekar Edition 1918 which gives a list of quotations
used by the Acharya in the BSB and lists the above verse therein.  But
the cross reference of the Sutra bhashya is not given.  Could you
kindly help me locate this sutra bhashya?
There too, I remember now that the Acharya had said while quoting this kArikA:
//तथा च संप्रदायविदो वदन्ति - [Thus say the knowers of the tradition
(of teaching the Vedanta)] //

Namaste.