[Advaita-l] Advaitic Foods

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 06:57:11 CST 2010

The reference to stale food is directly found in Baudhayana Dharma
Sutra 1 1.2 3 about peculiar customs in South India.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/sbe14/sbe1435.htm

I observe the practice of eating left over stale food after big
festivals is there in many ladies of respectable families.  If costly
food like sweets is prepared in festival they will eat it even a day
or two after. In Deepavali people eat sweets and other dishes for many
days. This is in North also. Why Baudhayana says only Southerners do
it?

I observed marrying paternal aunt's daughter or maternal uncle's
daughter also recently. This is acceptable in many places and not
wrong also. But Northerners make fun of this. Southerners are more
orthodox undoubtedly.

Eating meals with wife is probably not a bad custom. Why Baudhayana
says it is only in South India?

Regards

-Venkatesh

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Sunil Bhattacharjya
<sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com> wrote:
> <<<  Why Dharma allow even females to eat Tamasika food like
> stale food but not males?  >>>
>
> Will you like to give reference please?
>
> Regards,
>
> Sunil K. Bhattacharjya