[Advaita-l] Jnana-karma samuccaya.

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Dec 14 05:22:00 CST 2010

praNAms Sri Karthik prabhuji
Hare Krishna

> Sorry for the belated reply to your 'lawyer notice' like mail :-)) I am
just wondering how people are blinkered when they are giving their
verdicts on others' intention & purposes.  Anyway, being a
'pratipakshavAdi' I have to address your concerns:-))...So, here we go :

Although you have asked Vidya for his opinion, he has not yet replied - I
guess it may not be worth his time to point out trivial mistakes.

>  and you are ready to spend your time to point out those 'trivial'
mistakes :-)) good, atleast you are ready to spend your valuable time in
nitpicking :-)) BTW, I think, Sri vidya prabhuji, nowadays,  has more
time, enthu & energy in engaging himself in trivial threads :-)) I've seen
him, how patiently, he is answering all the queries from 'dvaita' bandhu-s
or leg pullers of advaita :-))  And I am always eager to have his
satsangha through mails.

say above, "nowadays MOST of the acharya-s", implying that there may be
exceptions.

>  Yes, if those exceptions are not there in the list of 'MOST' Acharya-s
we have to accept the fact that those observations are correct in MOST of
the Acharya-s' case.

But in your previous email, you had actually claimed that not "most" but
ALL of the Acharyas behaved this way: "I dont see ANY of our present day
Acharya-s/ swamiji-s/ vedAnta guruji-s using their 'pAda-s' to travel from
one place to another and preferring 'kuteera' to stay...They have ALWAYS
posh cars...".

>  Again, my above observation does not meant to corner & highlight any
particular Acharya paraMpara, if somebody reads like that that is there
perception problem. Any commensense reading would suffice to understand
that ALL is nothing but ALL & it does not an attempt to point the finger
at any particular cult!!  And also, you may please be noted that this 'car
travelling' of swamiji-s and their luxurious life style etc. is first
observed by Sri Srikanta prabhuji and above sentences of mine are only
'additionals' to his already observed points.  There is no legitimate /
sane reason for you to pick ONLY my comments when two members of the same
thread expressing their 'same' opinion.

I hope you see the difference.

>  yes, there is a difference between the words 'MOST' and 'ALL' but
giving to the present context of 'general' observation, this is too
negligible difference and there is absolutely no need to make it a big
issue.

Problem # 1:

Your had alleged, "And with regard to luxurious life of swamiji's...I dont
see any of our present day Acharya-s/ swamiji-s/ vedAnta guruji-s using
their 'pAda-s' to travel from one place to another and preferring
'kuteera' to stay...They have always posh cars (their own and devotees as
well :-))  at their disposal and have well furnished cottages to stay and
sumptuous food for the 'bhiksha':-))"

NOTHING of what you have said above concerning the actions of the Acharyas
actually violates the rules of dharma, which the Acharyas of the four
primary Sankara Maths scrupulously follow. If they drive around in
so-called "posh" cars (as you describe it), that is the car that was
offered to the Acharyas by the devotees so that the Acharyas can fulfill
their busy schedule of blessing devotees one day in Sringeri and another
day in Bengaluru and the next day in Chennai. And there is absolutely
nothing in our dharma that PROHIBITS Acharyas from traveling in such cars
if it is to fulfill the needs of the devotees who yearn for the blessings
of their masters.

>  OK then what is your problem in my observation??  if these things are
not dharma bAhira and indispensable for the current day life scenario, so
be it...Atleast for the one or the other reason you are accepting that
'life style' of present day acharya-s is as per the above observations.
Anyway, you please read the yati dharma nirNaya or paramahamsa meemamsya
to know more about what saNyAsi should & should not do !!??

So your characterization of the Acharyas' busy life involving extensive
traveling through inhospitable roads and harsh schedules for the sake of
blessing the devotees as "luxurious" was in bad taste indeed!

>  again reading everything by wearing the bigoted spectacles is your
problem, I cannot help it...Mind you,  you are writing this even AFTER I
clarified that for this way of life even my guruji-s are not an exception
and through their life style like this we cannot read much with regard to
their jnAna...If you are not able to digest these things in a positive
manner, do you think it is my problem??

Problem # 2:

Another quote from you, "Due to his prArabdha janita dehendriya manObuddhi
ahaMkAra, he may  'sometime' involve in 'questionable' activities by
getting 'vipareeta pratyaya-s!! When the  brahma jnAni's  fate itself is
like this then what to speak about 'holymen' ??  So, at least with this
excuse the holymen can justify their activities. No pun intended here
please, this is the theory which got acceptance from the 'official' flag
holders of advaita."

I don't know whom you have referred to by "'official' flag holders of
advaita", but certainly this is not the view held by the Acharyas of the
four main Sankara Maths.

>  again, this shows how poor you are in understanding the context &
circumstances of these observation...Official flag holders does not mean
chaturAmnaya mutt swamiji-s...Official flag holders please note in this
context are those who are in the name of shankara saMpradAya trying to
sell the ticket for the show ' jnAni's indulgence in gOdhULi maithuna'to
prove jnAni's kAma & krOdha and weakness to listen to some dharma bAhira,
neetibAhira demands!!...I am sorry to say this...but this is what has been
floating freely in the electronic media.

I'm particularly highlighting your claim, "So, at least with this excuse
the holymen can justify their activities...this is the theory which got
acceptance from the 'official' flag holders of advaita.", that is
FACTUALLY INCORRECT, besides being in extraordinary bad taste.

>  then you have to throw your blame on those who are propagating these
views in the name of shankara siddhAnta not on me who is opposing this
non-sense theories.

Firstly, the GYAnI himself, if he is at the level of jIvanmukti, will not
attribute any "activities" to himself, so there is no question of his
"justifying his activities" to anyone, because in his view there is no
"my" involved in the activity.

>  agreed..

Secondly, if there is a body that engages in Adharma saying, "I am a
GYAnI, so I can do whatever I want", then punishment can be meted out to
the same body, saying, "You are a GYAnI, so you can take this punishment
for the Adharma done by the body"! So in this case also there is no
"justification" of the Adharmic activity.

>  but what is your answer to the influence of prArabdha which makes jnAni
to behave abnormally like in the case of kashyapa prajaapati, who is
depicted as a jnAni but obeyed and 'cooperated' to the demands of his
ajnAni wife??

Point: If someone has engaged in an Adharmic deed, he or she or it must be
punished according to the rules of dharma. There is NO "justification"
whatsoever for an evil deed.

>  but it has been said due to the influence of prArabdha, jnAni too 'some
time' succumbs to the vipareeta pratyaya..the example given to show
jnAni-s krOdha & kAma is the famous episode of kashyapa.

>  I am sorry, since you have used somany 'you-s' in your mail while
replying to me, I had to  follow the same style & tone!! Hope you would
take it in the right spirit.

Regards,
Kartik

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!