[Advaita-l] True or False?

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 07:05:15 CST 2010

Since you have already requested 3 people to answer your queries, I will not
pre-empt them. However, I would like to point out something regarding your
questions. You have used the word "real". Per advaita-vedAnta, anything that
is conditioned is not real. Simply put, en entity can be conditioned by
space, time or object.

Now, as per your own understanding, would you consider Ishvara, jIva and
jagat to conditioned entities? If yes, they are not real.

Let us take the case of Ishvara. Is Ishvara distinct from the jIva? If yes,
Ishvara is conditioned (by the object called jIva) and therefore not real.

For Ishvara to be real, he/she/it has to be non-distinct from the jIva. This
can be valid only if the viSeSha-s are dropped. But if the viSeSha-s are
dropped, both Ishvaratvam and jIvatvam are lost. Welcome to advaita!