[Advaita-l] Knowledge, renunciation and varNASrama rules

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 10:42:13 CDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 11:37 PM, Vidyasankar Sundaresan
<svidyasankar at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Let me reiterate Sankara bhagavatpAda's statement from sUtrabhAshya
> 1.3.38 - "SrAvayec caturo varNAn iti". This sentence empowers all four
> varNa-s to do SravaNa of itihAsa-purANa vAkya-s. It is not about reading
> a printed book. It is about the fact that a text like the gItA is to be taught
> to all, without limitations of varNa. We can add other texts to this too,
> e.g. the sanatsujAtIya and the mokshadharma sections of mahAbhArata,
> the anugItA, the uddhava gItA and the other gItA-s found in the purANa-s.

The Stri Sudradis can hear Itihasa Purana but their Jnana will be
Paroksha only. Like Jnana from books. They both are same.  There is no
Pramana telling you can get Aparoksha Jnana. Where?  But for Vedanta
there is Pramana the Mahavakya will give Aparoksha Jnana.

> You have still not addressed the other major issue, that of pUrvakRta
> saMskAra that leads to jnAna, as per 1.3.38. May I also point out that
> a close study of the commentary on sUtra-s 3.4.1-19 is necessary before
> jumping to 3.4.20? It sets out in what way jnAna is independent of the
> adhikAra for karmA. Neither is jnAna an accessory or result of karmA nor
> is it necessary that someone with qualification for jnAna should be bound
> to karmA because of incidental factors. The jAbAla Sruti "yad ahar eva
> virajet tad ahar eva pravrajet" is a universal statement, with its only
> requirement being the ripeness of vairAgya.

But not neglecting 3.4.26. This is very important Sutra. Karma is
necessary for Citta Suddhi. It will remove obstruction. Jnanotpatti is
from Karma. Adi Sankara has accepted this. Karma is necessary for
Jnanotpatti. Utpattau Karmani Apekshyante.  Vidura and Dharmavyadha
are exception cases.  but it proves they had Citta Suddhi by Karma in
past lives.

Regards

-Venkatesh