[Advaita-l] How to become a Hindu

sriram srirudra at vsnl.com
Wed Aug 25 06:06:00 CDT 2010

Dears
Hindus get converted to other religions mostly due to poverty and lack of status recognition by fellow Hindus due to our own caste system which should have originated to have a healthy  peaceful society rid of conflicts.But due to non observance of the codes of ethics delineated in our shastras the caste system has degenerated and the less intelligent but humble and honest were dumped aside and even received illtreatment under the more intelligent but exploitative higher rung people.This is a weakness in our Hindu fold.When the foreign invasion be it by Moghuls by wars  or by  British through East India Company they could use this simmering discontent and tried to convert either by sword or by corrupt methods-like doling out facilities if one converts to their religion.That is how we find alien religious practices in our land.There is pressure by Christians and Muslims to convert.But at the same time we do not find Jains/Buddhists aggressively trying to convert Hindus.But the reverse case -a foreigner say a Christian wants to become a Hindu out of his own volition -shows that inspite of the gradations in the society Hindu way of life is eminently suited for spiritual progress for believers in God.All religions have sects and subsects based on ethnic/linguistic and skin color and all are not treated equally.This is  inherent in human psyche but not because of religion.It is my opinion that if people desire to convert to Hinduism some methodology can be devised sothat the converted feels comfortable as a Hindu.R.Krishnamoorthy.