[Advaita-l] Knowledge, renunciation and varNASrama rules

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Aug 18 07:16:26 CDT 2010

If Bhagavatpada is saying that strI or shUdra can attain moksha without
saMnyAsa, I do not think it is implicit that for a brAhmaNa too, saMnyAsa
is
not a must to attain moksha. Could you kindly clarify as to if
Shankaracharya has explicitly mentioned that elsewhere specifically for a
brAhmaNa/ dvija?

praNAms Sri praveen prabhuji
Hare Krishna

No I dont think there is any explicit  quote in shankara bhAshya to say
for brAhmaNa, saNyAsa Ashrama  is not a must to attain mOksha..Ofcourse I
do agree that there is special & repeated emphasization on saNyAsa & its
importance in brahma jignAsa  by shankara but at the same time  I dont
think he would deny the mOksha for brAhmaNa-s for not taking 'formal'
saNyAsa.  There is no explicit quote for this view point either.  Because
we have the examples of nachiketa, mArkandeya, rishi vAma deva etc. on
hand, who are history says not formal saNyAsi-s.  To attain mOksha or to
realize sva-svarUpa, for any varNAshrami 'sAdhana chatushtaya' is an
indispensable requisite NOT saNyAsa as an ashrama perse.  If we say out of
chAturvarNa, for the brAhmaNa varNa saNyAsa is the must, then mOksha would
become AshramAdheena for brAhmaNa-s.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar