[Advaita-l] Knowledge, renunciation and varNASrama rules

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 02:28:13 CDT 2010

Hari Om, Vidyasankar-ji,

I've been meaning to ask since a long time if there were any commentaries on
saMnyAsa upanishat or references made to it in commentaries on other works
in the tradition? This seemed like an appropriate thread to raise this
question and also if there are traditional opinions about restrictions or
eligibility for saMnyAsa given in this upanishat, how to follow saMnyAsa
dharma itself, etc. Is this upanishat considered while initiating someone
into the traditional dashanAmi order of saMnyAsa? I hope you find time to
comment and throw some light on it. I request others to share their
knowledge on the topic too.

praNAms,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */