[Advaita-l] Adi Sankara's comment about Prayascitta Karma and Sureshvaracharya's comment about Nitya Karma

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 02:38:38 CDT 2010

Hari Om, Bhaskar-ji,

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

> Another point I want to make is that a sAdhaka may want to develop
> titikshA
> which requires him to undergo the effects of his past karma and endure
> them
> (possibly without prAyascitta).
>
> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> In other words, the shAstra vihita prAyaschitta karma, vidhi & its
> AcharaNa would give the fortitude to withstand the 'evil effects' of past
> karma and protects him to lead the life of a sAdhaka.

That wouldn't be exactly in other words! What I meant to say is that
titiksha is to endure those evil effects, while what you're saying is
sAdhaka is protected by the evil effects due to prayascitta karma. However,
most
of the evil effects themselves would be removed by prAyascitta karma leaving
very less for him to endure. What kind of endurance would that be? :) Agreed
that the sAdhaka would be additionally taking the effort of
performing the prAyascitta karma, but that would also bring the additional
adRShTa of dependence, wouldn't it?

asmi,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */