[Advaita-l] Prayascitta question

Varadaraja Sharma rishyasrunga at rediffmail.com
Wed Aug 4 04:17:20 CDT 2010

Radhe Krishna

I recollect a narration in the book “Dialogues with the guru”.  On a conversation with Jagadguru Shri Chandrasekara Bharathi MahaswaminaH,  Sir.C.V.Raman (or Sir.C.P.Ramaswamy Iyer) narrates that he performed tharpanam on the occasion of amavasya during his stay in dweepantaram.  Acharyal responds to this sarcastically and as such, I think it could be taboo.  As such, in which scripture, such an act is categorized as taboo and prayaschita has been prescribed?

And why dweepantaram, I have heard the concept of “kIkata desham”.  Even some places in Bharata varsham have been categorized as “kIkata desham” and going to these places require performance of prayaschitam.  And I recollect having heard./read about this.  During thirtha yathra of pancha pandavas, when they enter vanga desha, the purohitas accompanying them stay behind and do not go along with them.  Again, is it only as per purana/ itihasa narration or whether any scriptural injunctions are also there in this regard?

Radhe Krishna