[Advaita-l] FW: Avidya, Jnanis and SSS' views

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Apr 30 03:06:01 CDT 2010

Bhaskar,

praNAms Sri Ravi prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Please read http://article.gmane.org/gmane.culture.religion.advaita/6359
- presentation  there is  clear. We have two archives and both are
searchable. You can use gmane archive even to post and it also
provides blog like interface.

>  'Your organisation is blocked access to this site' is the normal mesg.
I'd get whenever I click the http links!! My company is too cost
conscious, in an effort to cost cutting measures, they have blocked most
of the sites..I've access only to my company's official banker & intranet
facility to see my company profiles, latest developments & other
employees' details..Anyway, thanks for the link prabhuji.

Standpoint 1: eka jiva vaada

1a. Only sadyomukti
1b. No jivanamukti
1c. No avidyalesha

>  this is interesting classificatiion prabhuji, in case of eka jeeva vAda
there is no question of avidyAlesha!!  Shankara accepts eka jeeva vAda
when we hold the samashti or collective antaHkaraNa as the upAdhi for
Atman.  And in this case the Atman/self called as mahAn Atman or
hiraNyagarbha or prathamaja (the first born..see for example katha 1-3-13
and sUtra 1-4-1).  I dont think in this scenario talks on ramnant of
avidyA, sadyOmukti, jeevan mukti etc. applicable.  We have to deduce or
discuss these aspects in the nAnA (aneka) jeeva vAda only...

Standpoint 2: aneka jiva vaada

2a. There is jivanamukti
2b. There is avidyalesha

>  And here also I dont think there can be any possibility of
avidyAlesha..though we can talk of nAnA jeeva vAda it is only from the
drushti of multiple upAdhi-s or from the point of individual
upAdhi/antaHkaraNa.  For example if you see the sUtra 3-2-9 shankara
clearly implies here plurality of jeeva-s can be acceptable only from the
point of view of individual conditioning assocaites.  But a brahma jnAni
realizes that the jeeva-hood or jeevatva or he is katru bhoktru itself is
a false appearance and it was only due to avidyA..where is the question of
traces of this avidyA in him??  If at all we call someone as jeevanmukta,
that person should be paripUrNa and dOsha rahita no??  even if he has
'lesha mAtra' avidyA, then he is not perfect or paripUrNa jnAni..

>  And finally, my request to the avidyAlesha flag holders to clarity
whether the above classification is acceptable to them to agree there is
no question of avidyAlesha in eka jeeva vAda??  Sri Subbu prabhuji, please
clarify Sri ravi prabhuji's classification is in line with your line of
thinking with regard to avidyAlesha.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar