[Advaita-l] The Treatment of Avidya in Advaita - Part 1

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Mon Apr 26 07:27:35 CDT 2010

praNAms
Hare Krishna

In my considered opinion, it is a premature, hurried and flawed conclusion
on those who have
determined that 'according to Shankara 'avidya' is only adhyAsa'.

>  Just a small clarification, according to shankara & Sri SSS avidya is
NOT only adhyAsa but avidyA is also adhyAsa...As you know this will make
lot of trouble to those who uphold the theory which propagates the
material cause for adhyAsa & equating mAya with avidya.

Since you spoke about the supremacy of the nyAya prasthana, let me quote
one
more popular saying:

mAnDUkyam ekameva alam mumukShUNAm vimuktaye - the Mandukya upanishad
alone
is sufficient for liberation.

>  Again, as usual, out of context quote!!  here what we are doing is
discussion (you may term it as debate) not the liberation...Yes, for the
liberation, for a yOgya adhikAri why need even mAndUkya, only one sentence
tattvamasi is more than enough is it not??..why on the earth you have to
split your hair to prove there is upAdAna kAraNa for adhyAsa :-))

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar