[Advaita-l] "adhikarins" and the continuation of the body after jnana

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 22 09:55:38 CDT 2010

> Yes, in my opinion, this special case of avatara-purushas with a mission is understandable, but is more of an exception than the rule. The sUtra mentioning the case jnAnis remaining embodied with a mission is more proof of the general rule that jnAnis are asharIrIs.
> Regards,
> Savithri

Ah, but this "exception proves the rule" opinion is not how the bhAshya
explains this sUtra, is it?

In fuzzy human interactions, one may well accept that there are general
rules and specific exceptions. In a system of philosophy, even one
exception is enough to invalidate the generality of a rule. In this case,
the presence of even one sa-SarIrI jnAnI is a strong enough case
against the a-SarIratva of jnAnI-s. In fact, that is precisely what the
pUrvapaksha of this sUtra is. And the bhAshyakAra's answer is quite
different from what you present above!

Regards,

Vidyasankar